Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cycle hard, cycle long...


Ah, Sunday mornings in Waterbury, Vermont, one of the 3.5 places in this state where you can actually get cell phone reception. Laying under a tree in dappled mid-morning sun with my cell phone glued to my ear, dad mentioned that he and Murray went on a 40 mile bike ride yesterday. No kidding--so did I! How beautiful to know that all three of us were rolling through this precious world via our own power atop two spinning wheels.

Let me tell you, folks, if you haven't hopped on a bike recently, you should get your rear on a seat and experience the enlightenment that only two pedals brings. Yesterday, I went on a gorgeous ride through some of the Green Mountains near Yestermorrow. This ride had everything--great conversation, sweat, threatening thunder, grinding 5 mph uphills that give you time to ponder life, and tension-ridden adrenaline-pumping gravel downhills that shake a new vitality and resolution into your soul.

Two of my dreams someday are to live without a car, relying solely on my bike, and to be a bike messenger in a city. I'm almost positive that the latter won't ever happen due to my abhorrent sense of direction. I'm still holding out hope for the first, though. In the meantime, I ride where and when I can, and get wicked excited about folks involved in projects like those pictured above (a friend's boyfriend created this vehicle in Minneapolis) and below (I was bout ready to leave this internship and move to Northhampton when I met a gal who rides for this trash-pickup outfit).

So friends, I say it again: Cycle hard, cycle long...cycle in silence, cycle in song. Cycle through fields and by cows, cycle today--cycle now!

3 comments:

Carla said...

the growing baby-in-my-tummy won't permit bike rides at the moment, so i'll have to do it vicariously through your blog! :) is that person seriously doing trash pickups on a bike??!

Patrick said...

Update!!!

Meredith said...

Naz....

I was reading some of your bike-n-build blogs today. It really brought me back. I mean, wow, we really did that! Man I loved that trip. Man, I loved those people. That was the life. LIving life each day with a small goal and a much bigger consequence of each completion. I read the one from Arkansas -- flashing memories of the worst welts i've ever had from a mosquito, swatting at the ceiling of the van, running screaming outside in the hose bath from the dinosaurs, blood actually trickling from a few of the bites. THe names of the Arkansas towns! Awesome! Remember the meteor shower in that little mountain town in Nevada at that beautiful church? Oh the life.....